Friday, January 10, 2014

the PUSH without the PUNISH

i got a FitBit last night.  A little creepy, after reading The Circle, but the more goals I have to crush, the better.  That's how I'm wired.  Don't get me wrong - in the past week of sub-zero weather, I set walking aside.  That's just crazy to be out in that weather.  But i am this person that sets a goal for myself, and needs to have short-term markers along the way. sort of like my timing - if i have to be somewhere at a certain time, i back-time it so i can arrive with time to spare…wiggle room.  so if my goal is 6000 steps today, i get going early (usually) so I can have time to chill later.  and if the weather is good today, then i'll walk with-or-without the group, in case it gets nasty out again.  yes, i have a treadmill on loan from my mother-in-law.  but i've found that it's soo boring to walk indoors.  even with my ipod.  maybe if i had a stand for my ipad, i could watch a movie.  i don't know.  it's the conversation & gossip and all those things that i enjoy while i'm walking.  nature, trails, foxes, deer, car exhaust :)
but whatever it takes.  because striving towards this goal is not just about losing weight.  it's about respecting myself enough to allow something good and positive.  it's about finishing something i started.  it's so much more than walking.  it's about pushing myself without punishing myself, and taking back control of what i allow my body to look like, feel like, operate like.  Before this walking program, there were days when i'd get out of bed and could hardly walk.  i still have a lot of pain, but know that if i can walk 4-6 miles, i can walk across the room.  no matter how long it takes.  i will not be a guest on 600-pound Life.  and i'm far far from it, but need to feel healthy again, lively.  and just the thought of reaching my goal makes me smile.  the accomplishment.
so Move Your Feet today!  buy a cheap pedometer and challenge yourself to x-number of steps more each day or week.  it is so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

on a quest to be my best! Your comment will appear soon!